Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Common Denominator

How can a 10 go for a 5?”
Tagline, She’s Out Of My League

By now I'm sure that at least some of you have seen the movie "She's Out Of My League". It stars Jay Baruchel as an average Joe who meets the perfect woman (Alice Eve). Instead of Jay having to compete for Alice's affection though, and to the surprise of both their groups of friends, she takes an interest in him right from the start. Of course Jay’s lack of confidence and the influence of his friends and family begin to pick away at the relationship. But in true Hollywood style, they overcome it all and end up living happily ever after.

Sweet, right? Sure. If only it were that easy in real life. Because you see, in our world 10’s and 5’s simply don’t play in the same leagues. No sir. The only things that seem to matter to people are looks, money and power. They can deny it all they want. But the truth is if you are lacking in any of these 3 departments, you're most likely to be sentenced to a lifetime of loneliness by those who are considerably more “blessed” in those areas. And this has rung true through the ages.

Even I can't deny the fact that it would be nice if I was to find an attractive partner to share my life with. It's not important by any means, because to me your most important features still remain your heart and soul. But it surely wouldn't hurt. I've had my fair share of crushes on "perfect 10's". And I know better than anyone that most of them would never give me the time of day, and that the exceptions to the rule are ever so few.

So while I applaud the filmmakers for making the audience believe that anything is possible, I can't help but feel like I need to be the voice of reason here. At the end of the day it sadly all still comes down to basic maths - a case of the common denominator.

And in the real world, 10's and 5's simply don't share a common denominator.

No comments:

Post a Comment