Friday, January 28, 2011

Ready For Love

My heart beats for love. It's the sound that I hear, tells me not to give up. It breathes in my chest. And it runs through my blood. My heart beats for love.
– Miley Cyrus, My Heart Beats For Love

OK, so I’m fully aware that starting a blog entry off by quoting Miley Cyrus probably doesn’t add an awful lot of weight to what’s to follow. But instead of judging me for the choice of artist, rather appreciate the beauty of the emotions that would inspire such lyrics.

I can’t deny that I’ve lived a privileged life up till now. I grew up in a good home and I had a decent upbringing. My parents instilled me with values and beliefs that have brought me to where I am today, and still serve me well. And though we were never rich, my daily needs - and more - were always met.  I was blessed to have the opportunity to start working straight out of high school while studying towards my degree after hours. This in turn lightened the financial burden on my parents, and also allowed me to start my adult life without any debt.

At the moment I have job security, I own a car and I’m renting a little house which is well suited to my needs. Although I have few friends, the ones I have are gold. You would therefore be forgiven for assuming that I in fact have it all. Because you see, the most important thing in life (in my eyes at least) still eludes me. And that is love.

It is no secret that I have never been in a relationship. In fact, I didn’t even have my first kiss until a couple of months ago. This could probably all be attributed to the fact that I only accepted my own sexuality recently. But maybe now, for the first time, I am truly ready for love. Ready not only to love, but also be loved.

I have always been a hopeless romantic. I mean, I love “love” - period! And there is nothing more I want than to find that special person to share my life with. The funny thing is, I don’t even think I really have a set “type”. This of course doesn’t mean that I don’t know what I’m looking for – because I do. It’s just that with age I think I’ve finally come to realise what matters and what doesn’t.

I’m looking for someone who will, first and foremost, love me unconditionally. Someone with a big heart and a beautiful soul. Someone with an infectious smile and kind eyes I can lose myself in. Someone who can make me laugh and challenge me to be the best I can be. Someone who will share my values and beliefs. Someone who will not only be my lover, but also be my best friend.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I am open to the new and exciting possibilities that love can hold. So, this is an open invitation to Prince Charming. I am ready to be swept off my feet and for you to steal my heart away. I am ready to put you at the centre of my universe and ride off into the sunset.

I am ready for happily ever after.

No comments:

Post a Comment