Saturday, January 29, 2011

Time … Distance … Circumstance


Love knows not distance; it hath no continent; its eyes are for the stars.
– Gilbert Parker

In my ongoing search for true love, it appears that I will always be facing one of either 3 obstacles – time, distance or circumstance.

Of these 3 stooges (as I like to call them), distance is appearing to be the most prevalent. You see, over the past year I have met some amazing guys on Twitter. And during this time I have now twice found myself taking interest in a guy living halfway across the country.

Am I crazy for falling for someone I haven’t even met in person yet? Am I foolish for even considering the possibility of a long distance relationship (if the interest was to be mutual of course)? I’m sure a lot of you would answer to both of these with a resounding “yes”!

I guess that’s where I differ from most people. As much as I am a realist, there’s also another side to me – the complete and hopeless romantic. It is the romantic in me that firmly believes that no obstacle is too great for love to overcome.

Don’t get me wrong – I’m not saying that distance hasn’t been the downfall of many a great relationship. But isn’t it somewhat hasty to pass up a potentially great relationship simply because of distance? Don’t you owe it to yourself to see where it could lead? Just because distance might initially be an obstacle, it doesn’t mean that it has to remain that way. If you find someone really amazing that you love with all your heart, wouldn’t you then want to do anything to be with them? I mean, if two people found that they want to spend the rest of their lives together - wouldn’t one or the other end up relocating anyway, thereby eliminating the problem?

Maybe I’m making it sound a lot simpler than it really is. And maybe things are different for me. So much precious time has already been lost because I lived in fear – time in which I could have found my soul mate. I just don’t want to spend the rest of my life regretting what could have been if I had only had the courage to take a leap of faith.

So here I now find myself yet again falling slowly – but oh so surely - for somebody who lives halfway across the country.

The only question is - will it be 3rd time lucky this time around? Or 3 strikes and I’m out?

No comments:

Post a Comment